Unprecedented times. Unprecedented measures.
Posted on 20th March 2020 at 18:45
Hello and welcome to our latest blog.
So much has happened since the start of 2020. We are now in the middle of the largest crisis that the world has seen in peace time.
For employers and employees alike, these are unprecedented times. This is the time to put the human in HR. Employers should consider how they deal with staff, using moral judgement within the scope of employment legislation…even some lawyers are of the view that these are unchartered waters and that it will not always be possible to provide a straightforward answer to legal questions. Some issues will need to be handled on a case by case basis.
Considerations for employers:
• Have an up to date list of all employees and their contact details, including their emergency contact details.
• Ensure that employees who can work from home have the relevant equipment to do so and that relevant Health and Safety protocols are in place.
• Think about contingencies for employees who are unable to work from home.
• Think about what you need to do to ensure business continuity. If you are experiencing a fall in revenue, what can you do with your staffing levels?
• Communicate openly with your employees. Everyone is aware of the ongoing situation. Be honest and try to engage people in your decisions.
• Put some mental health and wellbeing support in place.
• Keep up to date with key information on reputable websites such as https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay well and stay safe.
Please contact us if you need assistance.
Remember, this too shall pass.
Tagged as: HR COVID-19 Coronavirus Human resources
Share this post: